Friday, August 13, 2010

Hold onto your hats....round 2 of week 5

Started out the week of Aug 1st-7th with new haircuts, the girls hair was getting out of control with all the swimming and the goggles tangling up there hair, so we went to the little haircut store here (that is the actual name of the store) and got their haircut. Bailee's picture didn't turn out so good, so we only get Kenadee's picture. I absolutely love the new look, and it does so much better in the water-we don't have all the screaming when it comes to combing out their hair. Now if you will remember the story about the two lizards that we lost in our house when we first arrived you will appreciate this. It all started when the power went off for over an hour and so to let in the breeze we pulled open all the shutters so that we could open the windows and this is what we found. Let's just say that he didn't have all the spunk that a normal lizard has, I actually felt sorry for the poor little thing, so we took him outside and put him on the grass and instead of bolting for a hiding spot he just sat there. We had to keep touching his belly to get him to get up and move into the bushes. So hopefully he survived!
Now if anyone out there knows what this next picture is of-we would be happy to know. We (the kids & I) were hanging out at "our" beach-I call it that because usually we are the only ones on it-anyways we found 4 of these things on the beach. There are really small about the size of a quarter and slimy looking and every now and again it would curl in upon itself. I don't know how to go about finding out what it is.
My mom got in Wednesday night and so first thing the next morning she wanted to go and see "our" beach. I just sat back and let her wander the beach with the kids. They were so excited that somebody actually came and visited us, it was a nice change.
This is called the Laie Point and it is beautiful. It is right across the street from the grocery store up to a dead end. A lot of people go to this place to check out the sights, we can see "our" little beach from this point. Just hanging out and lettin the time pass until we can go to the PCC.
Another shot from the point. The waves crashing up and hitting the rocks was beautiful, there were a lot of people out fishing off the point.
See I am...in a picture. I am not used to seeing me in pictures, I am always the one behind the camera (which in truth is actually the way I like it)
I wish I could tell you which country this was, but I can't, there are all amazing so it doesn't really matter. They are both playing the "conc" shells. I don't know if I spelled that right, but this is what they would blow before a big event to let me know it was getting started, and then they would beat a huge log and scream "GO TO CHURCH" How would you like that every Sunday morning?!?
Here we are at another country and we are getting the kids passports signed-which is a great ploy on the PCC's end. You get these passports stamped at each country and if you get at least 4 you take it to the gift shop for a free souvenir. Now it sounds all great and gets the kids excited, but guess where you have to go to get your free souvenir-if you guessed pass all of the shops until the very back of a kids store then you are right. Smart!!! Anyway, that is my ramble for this post-the kids are also getting "tattoos" put on their arms.
Here's each of the kids showing off their tattoos, they thought that this was great. Here is Curtis showing his awesome tattoo off...
Kenadee showing hers off...
Jake-can't even hold still enough to get his picture taken-yet he always wants to see the picture when I am done taking his.
Bailee showing hers off...
Another country and they invited all the kids that wanted to, to come up front and dance with them. They put the girls on one side and the boys on another. It was fun to watch the kids try and learn the different dances. So here is a picture of the girls learning to dance...
And if you look really close (both of my boys have red shirts on) you can see the boys learning the dance. Jake didn't stay up there the whole time, but Curtis did. He even looked like he was having a good time. Sorry the picture isn't that good, the sun was coming right thru the windows.
Time for the Canoe Pageant: This is my first time actually getting to wander around and see all the different countries and the canoe pageant. Just for future reference, get a spot in the shade or have it at your back but bring an umbrella with you. It was sooooo HOT we actually started to melt. We had some really great seats, although we were in the sun, it was at our backs but it was still HOT. We sat on the side of the river where they would introduce each of the canoes and play the music. Perfect placement to see everything.
Here is AOTEAROA ( New Zealand)
SAMOA
The Samoan canoe paddler actually fell off his canoe. I don't know if he did it on purpose, it didn't look like it, but he fell. It was actually quite funny!
FIJI
HAWAII
TONGA
NOW this is my favorite. The way that these ladies can dance is amazing and pictures don't do it justice. These are the ladies that can really SHAKE those hips. This is TAHITI
The kids giving it swing at trying the swinging balls. I don't know what these are actually called, all I know is that there look easy to do but they aren't. I remember as a little girl my Grandma & Grandpa Webster having a couple of pairs of these in their basement for us grandkids to play with, I never could get my hands to come together and keep the balls moving without it getting all tackled up. Jake was actually asleep at this point or you can probably guess he would be in the middle of throwing balls around.
I remember that this was in the Samoan country and they had these games that would test the strength and agility of the upcoming warriors for their country. They would watch how quick you were, or if you could remember the order of things that they would ask you. It was really fun to watch the kids.
We sat and watched the kids for a really long time, because it was in the shade and it was SOOOOOO HOT. Jake was asleep and so we could sit and enjoy without trying to keep him happy. He gets really ornery when he gets tired and nothing can keep him happy. You gotta love him though!! This game you would hold a stick and let go and move to the right or left and grab that stick before it fell to the ground. They (the kids) would do pretty good and then the guy would throw them for a loop and tell them to go the other direction.
Another shot of this game, it was hilarious to watch the kids try and get the stick before it would fall over.
What an angel. Notice I am saying this when he is passed out in the stroller. I sure hope that he remembers some of this summer.
Another one of our favorites to watch was the guy that would climb to the top of the coconut tree, he was so fast and before you knew it he was at the top.
This country did a kids show after they did the show about the country. During the kids show they again invited the kids-that wanted to-come up on the stage and learn another dance. I was glad that my kids wanted to go up, they are each holding half of a coconut in each hand. They would dance with these coconuts. The pictures don't really do this dance justice. It was hilarious to watch the kids.
The guy teaching them is also the guy that would climb the coconut tree. He would pose on the tree and let me tell you he was ripped, the guy announcing the show said you could look like him and the program was called the "COCONUT 90X" and that would be funny if you know P90X. Jon actually has the program, so I got a kick out of it.
More dancing!!! Curtis was the funniest to watch he was really giving it his all. The girls have better rhythem and were picking it up easier. They don't get their rhythem from me...
I don't even need to say anything but he (guy teaching) should have been on NEW MOON he would definetly have fit in.
I love to watch these kids, it just makes my day to watch them having these experiences at their age.
Here is the picture that I was talking about him staying on the coconut tree and posing, you should have heard all the women screaming, and no.. I was not one of them (only because my mom and my kids were sitting right next to me)
This little man was amazing-he is 9 years old and he is already learning to be a fire dancer. I can see now why the firedancers are sooooo good, they start at such a young age.
This guy was hilarious, my mom thinks that he is the same guy that was here when she came ten years ago. He was always making jokes and you could tell that he just loved doing what he was doing. Here he is showing how they used to make fire...it can really happen.
This to me is amazing, he is actually going to crack this coconut open with just a rock and his hand. If I didn't actually see it I would think that it couldn't happen.
Hitting at just the right spot!!
and there you go, he has two halves of the coconut. This is something that I learned I always thought that when you opened a coconut it was the coconut milk, but I was wrong. It is actually coconut juice, and then to get the milk you have to get the meat (the white stuff) in the coconut out and squeeze it. I have pictures so keep going...
He has this wooden bench with a saw on the end, and he sits on it and rubs the coconut over and over it and the white "meat" comes out. If you look erally close you can see the white flakes falling.
Then he takes the hair off the coconut and he put the "meat" the white stuff into it and then he just squeezes it together. Again if I hadn't seen if for myself I wouldn't have believed that it could actually happen. I have actually gotten quite fond of coconut milk. Instead of milk in smoothies we have been using frozen fruit, pineapple juice and coconut milk and let me just tell you it is amazing. It is my new favorite thing, sure hope I can find it back home. I even used coconut milk in our mac and cheese tonight because we ran out of milk. I didn't tell the kids until they already were eating it and telling me how good it was, then I told them. What we mom's do...Anyways back to him making coconut milk, look and all the white stuff running down is coconut milk. AMAZING!!!
This picture was supposed to be in front of the one above it, I don't know why my pictures are getting out of order, but this is when he has the "meat" in the coconut shell and getting ready to squeeze it.
This guy really put on a good show, if you haven't seen him, you really should make a trip and go watch him. He really made it interesting to watch. He did the kids show also and then we stayed for the bigger show about the country. I just wish I could remember which country. Oh well it was all good. More coming up in the following couple of weeks. Who knows when exactly why we are coming home, sometimes I don't want to come home, and then other times I actually miss back home and all our friends and family. We love you all and we really do miss you!!!!

No comments: